LESSONS WE HAVE LEARNT #1 ‘CREATION & CONCEPT’
Recently we have been helping quite a few friends who have ideas that they think might be good enough to start a business with. We love seeing others go through the same journey we have been on – people who invest their time, energy and love to see their creativity come to life. We launched Bondi Wash 18 months ago and have learnt an enormous amount through the journey. We have made many mistakes but done some things right as well. To help these friends we put together a list of all the insights that we thought might help. We thought others might be interested in the list so we will share it over a series of posts in the coming weeks and months. Sign up for our newsletter (link at the bottom of this screen) for regular updates.
Our first series of insights is around getting started ‘creation & concept’ – how do you know if your idea is a good one or not and how do you get started?
- When thinking of a concept for your new business, try to develop something that is innovative across a number of dimensions (e.g. design, functionality, scent, packaging).
- Focus obsessively on product (or service) design – customers will always be attracted to a great product regardless of marketing
- Look for simplicity and symmetry – these principles can guide decision making
- Understand where your competitors are but don’t copy – create your own style and own path
- Create for the long-term – will the business still be relevant in 50 years?