LESSON #4 ‘DOING’ YOUR NEW BUSINESS
Bondi Wash is just 2 years old and we are very proudly now sold in over 200 retailers in 8 countries. We have helped a number of friends get their business off the ground, and in the process jotted down what we have learnt along the way. This is the 4th instalment of our ‘lessons we have learnt’ that focuses on lessons about the actual ‘doing’ in running our young business.
- Get out there. Don’t overthink each decision. You will make mistakes but moving forward is more important.
- Trust your intuition. This one we have learnt from making mistakes – and looking back thinking that the decision did not feel right. It might take a while to realise what your intuition is telling you – and learning to trust it. But it is a really important guide for us these days.
- There is often a silver lining. So many problems early on seemed like disasters, but almost without fail, there was a positive flowing from them. We have learnt to be calm in the face of set-backs and challenges – and wait to see what could be the positive outcome that results. It is not always immediately obvious, but there usually is one.
- Invest in what matters. Work out what is important to your brand and try not to compromise on these things. For us, it is product quality, our essential oil fragrances and beautiful design and photography.
- Be careful who you trust. This one comes from bitter experience. An early experience of what we believe was straight-up corporate espionage from an established competitor means we are just a little more careful in who we trust. And we have had a few recent examples of both Australian brands and overseas-based people attempting to copy our formulations (it is why our ingredients are no longer listed on the website – but do always email us if you have any queries). Don’t disclose information over the phone or via email unless you really know who you are dealing with.