5 reasons why you should own a dog
The team at Bondi Wash are huge animal lovers - in particular dogs! Despite the unconditional love that you receive from your furry friend - there are many proven health benefits of owning a dog, we list 5 below:
1. Dog owners are more likely to engage in regular physical activity helping to keep you in good shape. The American Journal of Cardiology conducted a study of 369 heart attack patients one year after they were released from the hospital. Pet owners had a much higher rate of survival than non-pet owners.
2. Playing with your dog or puppy can help alleviate stress - daily play can lower your blood pressure and heart rate, slow down breathing and relax muscle tension according to a study by Aaron Katcher while affiliated with Purdue University.
3. Owning a dog can help make us more social. Heading out with your dog can help you communicate with others - Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine concluded that people who have a pet (in particular children and adolescents) feel more connected in their human relationships.
4. A Japanese study reported that staring into your dogs eyes can significantly increase the hormone oxytocin - known as the love hormone. Dogs not only make you happy but can help alleviate depression, in particular with the elderly.
5. Dogs are more likely to share “good” bacteria with their owners and a study has found that children who grow up with dogs are less likely to develop immunity-related problems, such as asthma and allergies.